A brief history………
On the 17th September 1937 a conveyance and Trust Deed relating to the proposed Village Hall was drawn up between the donor Capt G.C.O’Shaughnessy Cree to Major Smith and others. The necessary safeguards and provisions for administering the future premises were listed and duly signed. The Village Hall was built by public subscription and in 1972 a further piece of land was leased from G.A.M. Cree for a nominal sum for use as a car park.
Sample financial & letting records
1938 Mrs Pride – wedding 15s.0d
Football dance 15s.0d
Piano tuned 7s.0d
1940 Billeting 3030 Battery £1.0s.2d
Army 11 Lectures @2/6d £1.7s.6d
Chocolate takings £33.9s.31/2d
1945 September VJ tea party 6s.0d
The list of people, clubs and societies using the hall has gradually increased over the years and with it of course the cost of running, repairs and replacements.